History of Idemitsu Tanker Co.,Ltd.
Based on its corporate principle "From producers to consumers", the IDEMITSU Group has endeavored to accomplish a crucial mission of supplying petroleum to every corner of society since its establishment in 1911.
Exploitation of oilfields, construction of large tankers, operation of refineries and petrochemical plants: these are some of the efforts that the IDEMITSU Group has continuously devoted to achieve stable supply of petroleum with its all-embracing system including drilling, transportation, refining, processing and selling of petroleum.
Idemitsu Tanker Co.,Ltd. takes charge of Overseas Transportation Division as an affiliate of the IDEMITSU Group. The history of the division began with the construction of the first generation Nissho Maru (14,000 DWT) in 1938, and the second generation Nissho Maru (18,000 DWT) was constructed in 1951. The second generation Nissho Maru created a sensation worldwide when it transported oil from Iran in 1953.
The company made a significant contribution to the beginning of the age of supertankers by constructing then the largest third generation Nissho Maru in 1962 and the first VLCC Idemitsu Maru over 200,000 DWT in 1966.
In recent years, the company has actively engaged in dispatching marine superintendents and inspecting various tankers as a practitioner of SIRE, focusing on pursuing safe operation in petroleum transportation.