Idemitsu Kosan Co.,Ltd (Head Office: Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo; Representative Director and CEO: Shunichi Kito; hereinafter, the “Idemitsu”) announces its decision to commercialize the biomass power generation at the Tokuyama Complex (location: Shunan City, Yamaguchi). Service operation is scheduled to start during FY 2022 with a power output of 50,000 kW. The large-scale wood pellet biomass power plant will generate 360 million kWh yearly, which can cover approximately 100,000 households.
Biomass Power Generation at Tokuyama Complex to Be Commercialized Large-scale power plant with a power output of 50,000 kW
— Contributing to environmental protection, sustainable forestation, forestry revitalization, and regional promotion —
This project utilizes the former refinery site and existing infrastructure. The Tokuyama Complex is currently Idemitsu’s main facility in its chemicals business and will be reborn as a new base of activities for non-fossil fuel energy, intended to contribute to new methods of preventing global warming.
Following the commencement of commercial operations, the power plant will be using imported wood pellets and PKS*. However, considering the fact that around 70% (25.08 million ha) of the total land of Japan (37.8 million ha) is forest, this project plans to use domestically sourced materials such as timber from forest-thinning activities and lumber remnants as fuel over the medium to long term. Through these efforts, Tokuyama Complex aims to build and further develop sustainable forestry, forest revitalization, regional revitalization, and a recycling-based economy, all grounded in consideration for environmental protection.
In light of changes in energy-market conditions, we will continue promoting the renewable energy business in order to contribute to Japan’s energy security, through diversification and establishment of the best mix of energy sources.
* PKS (Palm Kernel Shell):
Shell part of a palm kernel. Waste from crops generated in the process of producing palm oil.
[Power plant overview]
- Location: 2200 Shingu-cho, Shunan-shi, Yamaguchi (on site of the Idemitsu Tokuyama Complex)
- Power generation output: 50,000 kilowatts
- Annual power generation: 360 million kWh (enough to provide power to about 100,000 households)
- Fuel consumption: approximately 230,000 tons/year
- Fuels used: imported wood pellets, palm kernel shells (PKS)
- CO2 reduction: approximately 230,000-300,000 tons/year
- Line of business: biomass power generation (using feed-in-tariff program for renewable energy)
- Start of commercial operation: during FY2022 (plan)
For inquiries regarding this press release, please contact
Public Relations Section, Public Relations Department,
Idemitsu Kosan Co.,Ltd.